Tuesday, August 12, 2008

My POV on Friendship

I am in the mood right now to talk about friendship so please, bear with me. True friendship is quite difficult to find, and more importantly, more difficult to keep. And yes, friendship encompasses trust, which is a terrible thing to waste. I've been blinded before, giving trust to somebody who criticizes in a treacherous manner while feigning “'friendship”... somebody, who would talk ill of a certain person, then, at the end, when all of the people around him grew tired of his ways, would be chummy again with that particular person (even believing what that person says, without any concrete evidence and given that person's questionable credibility). In short, somebody not worthy of my trust, even the group's trust. Everybody makes mistakes and I've learned from them. I would try my best not to commit them again.


In friendship, it’s important to strive for humility... to accept one’s faults and try to flatten the bumps along the way. In friendship, one should not draw conclusions on a certain issue without having a clear understanding of what really transpired. One can’t say he’s always the victim when in fact, he’s not. Why should one not bother asking what truly happened?


In friendship, one shouldn’t point fingers to somebody for being self-absorbed when the fact is, he should look in front of the mirror and ask himself “Am I guilty of that?!”. Again, the issue of projection comes in... it’s like the pot calling the kettle black. It’s a psychiatric thing so medical help is badly needed.


In friendship, one should be a good listener. It is not a one-way road! One should give his undivided attention to a friend when he’s talking about how his day was or whatever topic he’s been sharing. In short, one’s not always the center of attraction (or the universe, for that matter).

In friendship, one shouldn’t flaunt one’s achievements like seeking for glory. One should let people notice them, not for him to brag about. It’s quite hard to admire someone whose ego precedes him. Yes, one can have the nicest gadgets, the chicest bags and accessories or the biggest ATM money in town but at the end of the day, people would look at him as a boastful and arrogant person.

Friendship enhances our lives and makes us strong and happy. I, for one, love making friends. I wouldn't consider a capricious or unstable person because if I was, i wouldn't have different groups of friends who, through all these years, have been trustworthy, reliable and worth keeping. Fickleness isn't my cup of tea... and I'm proud of that.


Friendship has its ups and downs (one can say it's dramatic)... but no matter what happens, I would enjoy the ride. My friends are important to me and will always have room in my life. I know deep in my heart I've always been (and will always be) a good friend... most importantly to people deserving of such friendship.

On that note, I’m safe to say, without any pretensions... I have true love and peace. :-P

1 comments:

BigJimboy said...

Obviously, one has to be a friend to gain friends. Is it any surprise that some people are perpetually ALONE in their UNIVERSE?