Friday, September 12, 2008

Bon Appetit Revisited

I was checking my mailbox when I saw this message from Friendster Blogs...

Hello Chunkee,

We'd like to introduce you to your new blog on Friendster! We've been very busy building out Friendster Blogs 2.0 and your blog has been moved to the new blogging platform. It's ready for you to customize, edit, and add even more content to it!
Wow! The last time I updated my Friendster blog was July of 2006! Anyway, that was a smart move for Friendster to have major changes for the bloggers to enjoy. Among the entries I made for My Chunkee Life , here is one of my favorites...

Bon Appetit
November 9th, 2005

As my eyes were glued to Tyler Florence’s Tyler’s Ultimate on Lifestyle Network, I remember how we met John Cu-Unjieng in person during one of his cooking show stints in SM Makati. He was so nice and accommodating; he even agreed to pose for a picture with us! For me, he’s an epitome of an all -around Filipino chef. Now it’s quite obvious how I have that flair for food. No kidding! Does it show? :-P Great food is having a grand time, above par from anything else. I consider it as one of the hallmarks of living well.

We all have our all-time family favorites. For instance, I’m a sucker for my Dad’s chicken and pork pastel and lengua estofado; my Mom’s rellenong bangus and leche flan; and my Tita Lorna’s beef caldereta and menudo. In fact, I’m one of those who would rather enjoy the home-made goodness of these dishes than eating out. But we cannot deny the fact that dining out is an exciting part of one’s life. We have the chance to mingle with family and/or friends and savor delicacies from different restaurants. In a way, this enriches one’s well-being.

Here are some of my preferred choices when it comes to dining out:

SOUP: Any creamy potage from The Soup Kitchen in Glorietta. Heart-warming, especially during the Brrrrr months.

APPETIZER: Buffalo wings from Don Henrico’s. Man, this rocks! The big portions can make you burp even before the main course is served.

SALAD: Sicilian Chicken Salad from Italianni’s. The combination of Romaine lettuce, pine nuts, ripe mangoes, red grapes, radicchio and creamy lemon-Dijon dressing bursts of exhilarating, mixed flavors! Mmmm!

MEAT: Rib-eye Steak from Chili’s. This 10-lb grilled steak goes with garlic bread, rice pilaf and buttered veggies (you can also have grilled prawns as icing on the cake). Me and my folks love it medium-well.

SEAFOOD: grilled tuna belly or blue marlin from either Dencio’s or Gerry’s. A much healthier choice than the pork sisig, LOL!

POULTRY: Cajun Chicken Fingers from TGIF. I love it with their honey-mustard dip, buttered corn on a cob and coleslaw siding. Fried Chicken from Max’s. Whatever secret recipe this Max (sino nga ba siya?!) had concocted, it definitely was a sure-fire hit!

POTATOES: the Potato Au Gratin side dish from Amici di Don Bosco. Not too savory and not too creamy. Just perfect! Goes well with their roast chicken and Italian sausages.

PASTA: any spaghetti Bolognese, pesto or fettucine Alfredo. Italliani’s, Pasto and Amici di Don Bosco are my top 3 for this category. Now can you imagine them splatter on your favorite shirt? Red, green and white… a white Christmas! Hee hee! But when I crave for pasta, Filipino-style, there’s one place to run to… JOLLIBEE! :-P

PIZZA: any thin-crust variety. Don’t get me wrong… I also love the pan pizza. But I have this thing for the crunch when biting a slice. Preferred are: Belly Buster from Shakey’s (love the black olives and feta cheese) or Ai 4 Formaggi from Amici di Don Bosco (Mozzarella, Taleggio, Parmigiano-Reggiano and Brie cheeses in one pizza! Amazing!)

JAPANESE FOOD: buffet in Saisaki! Can’t get enough of sushi, sushi and more sushi! When on a tight budget, the set meals from Komoro Soba can suffice. :-P

DIMSUM: shark’s fin or honey ham dumplings and quail egg siomai from Dimsum and Dumplings. Gad, I remember those nights when we review for our exams in med school. We keep on going to D & D along Tomas Morato and avail of their Siomai feast promo. Tai-pao from North Park. A big bun of meat-filled goodness! I don’t know why I keep on eating there, despite… oh well! When Reinier, Bullit and I were having fun at Streetscape in Shangrila Mall, they let me try Gloria Maris’ jumbo siopao. Saraaaap!

PASTRY: California White and Floss from Bread Talk. Both are so palatable, you can never have just one piece!

CAKE/PIE: a toss between Chocolate Thunder from Down Under from Outback and Turtle Pie from Sugarhouse. The former boasts of orgasmic, chocolatey gooeyness, especially when the freshly baked pecan brownie is topped with rich vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce and chocolate shavings! The latter is simply amazing. I love the nutty flavor.

ICE CREAM: Dulce de Leche of Magnolia and Pistachio Gelato of Amici di Don Bosco. Forget about brain- freeze! These 2 flavors will definitely make my day after a heavy meal. Ben and Jerry’s and Haagen-Dazs are way too expensive. Better settle for the Filipino-made, hahaha!

COFFEE: Black Forest Ice Blended from Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf; and Coffee Jelly from Figaro. I’m such an addict for coffee… it perks me up during mornings and it helps me get caffeine for my migraine attacks. These 2 faves are marvelous! I love the cherry bits in Black Forest and the jello in Coffee Jelly. Yum!

And the list goes on and on. Come to think of it, nothing beats eating food you cooked yourself and having it tasted by the people you care about. Which ever you choose — dining out or eating at home, just enjoy every bite! As Wolfgang Puck would say… “Live, Love, Eat!”. :-P

0 comments: